Converting MRI to STL
By Shenandoah Duraideivamani
After you've installed the software, here are the steps to convert your DICOM data into a printable or importable MRI file. You can could "Download Sample Data.
You need to first anonymize the data by saving the images as .nnrd or use an anonymizer tool like DicomCleaner.
Import this data into Slicer.
3. After importing adjust the contrast and brightness of the data by dragging the mouse vertically/horizontally while clicking down.
4. Next follow the image below by clicking the pin next to each slice has "Toggle Slice Visibility in 3D view" and "Link/Unlink the slice controls"
5. Switch to Volume Render in the toolbar and turn on "3D View"
6. Choose your preset and opacity in the Display section
7. You can also cut through the volume rendering by activating the Display ROI eye toggle.
8. Finally let's make a grayscale model using 3D Slicer.
9. From the toolbar, choose the "Surface Models > Grayscale Model Maker".
10. For input volume, choose your MRI scan data.
11. For Output Geometry choose "Create new model as" and choose a name for your model.
12. You can also play around the the values of Threshold, Smoothing, and Decimate to optimize your model.
13. Click Apply and wait for your model to complete.
14. Go back to the Volume Rendering model and make it invisible.
15. To export your model, choose Save in the toolbar. In the dialog box, choose your format of the model as stl and select your target directory. Save the file.