Sideloading APKs Using APKPure
SideQuest allows you to sideload APK apps from a PC onto your Quest using a USB cable. APKPure allows you to skip the cable and sideload APK files that you downloaded straight onto the Quest without needing a computer. You can download the APK (whether through a website, Google Drive, etc.) then install it using the APKPure app. Note that the APKPure app itself needs to be sideloaded first, most likely using a tool like SideQuest.
In addition to allowing you to sideload your own APK files, APKPure includes a marketplace of APKs that you can download. You can install Android apps that might have only otherwise been listed on the Google Play Store onto your Quest. Your experience using mobile apps on the Quest may vary since these apps were designed to be run on mobile phones, but you may find some of the productivity-based apps to function well on the Quest! For example, you can download Discord, Reddit, TikTok, Twitter, etc. Visit APKPure.com to see the full marketplace offerings.
Before you begin
First Time Setup:
You will need a PC with SideQuest and a USB-C cable
Every Subsequent Use:
You only need your Quest!
First-time Setup (Enabling Developer Mode)
In order to sideload APKs to the Quest, Oculus requires that you enable developer mode. They make you jump through some hoops in order to get this done the first time, but once developer mode is enabled you can skip these steps each subsequent time you want to sideload an app in the future.
1. Become a registered developer on the Oculus website. Go to dashboard.oculus.com and create an “organization”. You will first be asked to accept the developer agreement. You will then need to verify your account using either a credit card or a phone number.
2. Under “Select Organization” choose “Create” and then fill out the form to “Create New Organization”. The name that you choose here does not matter. Submit the form to create your organization and become a registered developer.
3. Install the driver software for your device. (This step is only required for Windows users – you can skip this on all other platforms.) Go to developer.oculus.com on your PC and download the drivers for your headset. The Oculus Go drivers work for the quest also. To install the drivers, extract the zip folder, right click the android_winusb.inf file and click install.
4. Open the Oculus app on your iOS or Android phone. Click the “Menu” tab on the bottom and then choose “Devices”. Ensure your Quest is on and within Bluetooth range so your phone can connect to it. Under “Headset Settings”, choose “Developer Mode” and switch developer mode to on.
First-time Setup (Installing APKPure)
Use SideQuest to install APKPure onto the Quest. Download SideQuest from here. Read our wiki tutorial here.
Download the APKPure app APK, then install it by dragging the APK onto your SideQuest window (as described in the SideQuest tutorial).
Method 1: Install your own APK
1) Download an APK onto your Quest using the Meta Quest Browser.
2) Open the APKPure app and allow store permissions if the app prompts for them.
3) Click the download icon in the top right of the app to open the “App Management” screen.
4) Scroll to the right of the tabs list, and click the “APK / XAPK Management” tab.
5) Click the “install” button beside the app you wish to install.
6) If prompted to allow APKPure to install from unknown sources, click settings and flip the switch to allow. Then press back to return to the app from the settings page.
7) At the prompt, choose “Install” to install the app.
8) Once installation has completed, you will be prompted to “close” or “open”. You are all set!
Method 2: Install an APK from the marketplace
Warning: APKPure has a higher ratio of sketchy apps than most app stores – take care with what you choose to install. Remember that malware exists. Although APKPure has some approval/moderation process, it is less robust than Google or Apple’s moderation.
1) Open the APKPure app and allow store permissions if the app prompts for them.
2) Choose an app from the store you are interested in, and click “install”.
3) If prompted to allow APKPure to install from unknown sources, click settings and flip the switch to allow. Then press back to return to the app from the settings page.
4) At the prompt, choose “Install” to install the app.
5) Once installation has completed, you will be prompted to “close” or “open”. You are all set!
Pro Tip! Updating your sideloaded apps
Updates are not automatically installed for apps that are sideloaded. If APKPure has one of your installed apps in its marketplace and is aware of an available update, it can prompt you to install that update. You will need to manually click update for each app that you want to update. You can see your available updates from the “App Management” screen.